By MJ Ryan
Covid, climate chaos, political unrest….I think we can all agree that we are living in unprecedented times, full of uncertainty and upheaval. That’s why I am always on the lookout for practices to ground ourselves, so that we are steady enough to take wise action. Here is a meditation that draws on the Earth’s energy to stabilize ourselves adapted from mindbodygreen. It’s a great thing to do barefoot outside, but inside your home is just fine too:
- Stand in a comfortable position with your hands at your sides, bare feet on the ground, and eyes closed or open, whichever is more comfortable for you.
- Take 3 deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Visualize yourself strongly anchored to the ground, as if your body is a dense tree trunk growing down through your feet.
- Feel your energy going down into the Earth.
- See, feel, experience yourself tapping into the energy at the center of the Earth.
- On the inhale, draw that energy upward into your body. If it helps you to visualize it as a color, do so, whatever color feels right to you. Start with your feet and send this energy to the top of your head.
- On the exhale, send this energy back down your body and into the Earth.
- Repeat this cycle 3 times. Breathe in, pull up. Breath own, send back.